Through independent and collaborative research, the Upjohn Institute continues to seek the best ways to replace income lost through unemployment and to promote speedy reemployment.
In 2015, Institute researchers and ECRA grantees continued efforts to better understand how UI interacts with social programs designed to assist low-wage workers. Staff members were also involved in several UI-related sessions at the 2015 APPAM Fall Research Conference where they presented the lessons learned from public workforce program experiments, the effects of the UI work test on long-term employment, and how public workforce programs fared during the Great Recession.
The Institute also provides free access to UI-themed books and book chapters from the Upjohn Press. See below.
2015 UI research highlights
- Should UI Eligibility Be Expanded to Low-Earning Workers? Evidence on Employment, Transfer Receipt, and Income from Administrative Data, Pauline Leung and Christopher J. O'Leary
- Use of Unemployment Insurance and Public Employment Services after Leaving Welfare, Christopher J. O'Leary
- Optimal Social Assistance and Unemployment Insurance in a Life-Cycle Model of Family Labor Supply and Savings, Peter Haan and Victoria Prowse
- Paper | Presentation: "Evaluation and Effectiveness of a Low-Cost Statistical Methodology to Target Services to Participants of a Local Welfare-to-Work Program," Randall W. Eberts
- Paper | Presentation: "Evaluating Public Employment Programs with Field Experiments: A Survey of American Evidence," Christopher J. O'Leary
- Presentation: "The Effects of the Unemployment Insurance Work Test on Match Quality and Other Long-Term Employment Outcomes," Marta Lachowska, Stephen Woodbury, and Merve Meral
- Presentation: "Public Workforce Programs during the Great Recession," Stephen Wandner and Randall W. Eberts
Free UI-related book and chapter downloads from Upjohn Press
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: The Role of Workforce Programs, Burt S. Barnow and Richard A. Hobbie, eds.
- Data Analysis of the Implementation of the Recovery Act Workforce Development and Unemployment insurance Provisions, by Randall W. Eberts and Stephen A. Wandner (in "The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: The Role of Workforce Programs")
- Reemployment and Earnings Recovery among Older Unemployment Insurance Claimants, by Christopher J. O'Leary and Randall W. Eberts (in "Older and Out of Work: Jobs and Social Insurance for a Changing Economy")
- Targeting Employment Services, Randall W. Eberts, Christopher J. O'Leary, and Stephen A. Wandner, eds.
- Reemployment Bonuses in the Unemployment Insurance System: Evidence from Three Field Experiments, Philip K. Robins and Robert G. Spiegelman, eds.
- Unemployment Insurance in the United States: Analysis of Policy Issues, Christopher J. O'Leary and Stephen A. Wandner, eds.